Black Butterfly is a compilation of poetry that speaks to the silence of loss, the fight for families, and the love for foster children. It is written from the perspective of a youth in crisis and is a reflection of a survivor’s foster care journey. Children, parents, social workers, teachers, and all those who find connection, will find Black Butterfly, a tumultuous journey of faith and hope!
Thank you for visiting Black Butterfly Books LLC. As an author, former foster child, and survivor, I am dedicated to raising awareness on the mental health of foster care children, i.e., those who are currently in foster care and those who are aging out. To that end, the team and wrap-around concepts are embraced in an effort to cultivate sustainable solutions. As a former foster child, I began to journal at the age of 16, focused to effect positive change after traumatic and life-changing experiences in foster care.
Today, there are so many youths exposed to trauma, violence, or abuse and many are struggling physically or mentally to overcome it. Black Butterfly: The Journey – The Victory speaks to daily realities that foster children or youth-in-crisis may be exposed to. Poetry and prose highlight the silence of loss, the fight for families, and love for foster children!
Undoubtedly, public awareness and a team concept for youth in our communities are critical at both grassroots and political decision-making levels. Your support in reaching the masses is sincerely appreciated.
Black Butterfly and other books written by Author Lorna Jackie Wilson may be found at https://www.amazon.com/Lorna-Jackie-Wilson/e/B01C7F62CA/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1
Lorna Jackie Wilson
Consider the perspective of a youth-in-crisis or a youth struggling in the foster care system. What supports are in place to help them overcome? Closure may be difficult, especially, if there are any traumas left behind. Black Butterfly speaks to matters of the heart that are often unspoken; it speaks to the silence of loss, the fight for families, and love for foster children.
Black Butterfly speaks to daily realities that foster children may be exposed to. The clinical perspective is removed as connection to real issues is found through poetry that is realistic in prose and choral formation. Black Butterfly helps youth-in-crisis see themselves as God sees them!
FOSTER CARE AWARENESS FACTS:
- Up to 80 percent of children in foster care have significant mental health issues, compared to approximately 18-22 percent of the general population.
- As a result of these increased mental health issues, foster youth are prescribed psychotropic medications at a much higher rate than non-foster youth, costing the state, through fee-for-service programs such as Medicaid, millions of dollars a year.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics, Healthy Foster Care American Initiative, identifies mental and behavioral health as the “greatest unmet heath need for children and teens in foster care.”
- Factors contributing to the mental and behavioral health of children and youth in foster care includes the history of complex trauma, frequently changing situations and transitions, broken family relationships, inconsistent and inadequate access to mental health services and the over-prescription of psychotropic medications.
Wraparound –A Sustainable, Long Term Strategy to Care
- Wraparound is a method used to develop and deliver individualized behavioral health services and supports. These services are identified and implemented through a team-planning process that engages individuals who have stake in the well-being of the child, such as family members, service providers, and teachers. Through this process, the team identifies treatment goals and creates a comprehensive and coordinated plan of care, known as a Wraparound Plan, to achieve those goals.
 National Conference of State Legislatures (2016). Mental Health and Foster Care. Retrieved from http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/mental-health-and-foster-care.aspx
 Young Minds Advocacy (2018). Cultivating Sustainable Solutions for Youth Mental Health. Retrieved from https://www.ymadvocacy.org/cultivating-sustainable-solutions-for-youth-mental-health/